Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Are We Talking About “The Holidays” Already?


Yesterday I got a catalog in the mail that said, “It’s not too late to get holiday gifts for everyone on your list!” I hope not. It’s October.

 Then today I saw this post by an acquaintance on Facebook:
So, good for him. And at least he isn’t assuming Hannukah is the Jewish Christmas. But I don’t really want to be wished a Merry Christmas. It always makes me feel so awkward. After all of these years, I still never know how to respond. I usually just mumble, “You, too.”
Am I wrong? Should I just "get over it" like this person says? And what's the right response? I'd like to hear your thoughts. Please leave a comment.

2 comments:

  1. Since people are usually well meaning when they say it, I accept they're just trying to be nice and I politely say "You too." They aren't doing it to be mean and excluding, at least not the people I run into, haha. BUT I am sick of the retail world rushing the holidays!! Let us at least enjoy one before shoving the next one in our faces, GUH.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally, I usually say, "Thank you, but I don't celebrate Christmas." I don't have a problem with a private retailer wishing me a holiday I don't celebrate, as long as they realize they might be alienating a customer. Most then respond in a sympathetic way. If they didn't, then I would no longer patronize their store.

    ReplyDelete