Sunday, January 13, 2013

My "Emergency" Shabbat

We'd run out of Shabbat candles. We couldn't get groceries. We weren't going anywhere. What's a family to do but improvise?

This Friday, we had planned to spend Shabbat dinner at the JCC. Of course, life is what happens when you're making other plans. Evelyn came down with either a bad cold or a mild case of the flu (we'd all gotten the flu shot) and had a fever, which meant that we were staying home.

I opened the fridge. Half a gallon of milk, a few sticks of butter and a lot of condiments stared back at me. So I turned to the pantry. Angel hair pasta, dried garlic, olive oil ... a few fresh grape tomatoes. I did happen to have some Parmesan cheese in the fridge, so dinner was saved!

We used votive candles. I don't think they were kosher. I don't think it mattered. The important thing was, we were all together.

"Emergency" Shabbat Dinner:

Ingredients:

pasta
olive oil
a spoonful of minced dried or fresh garlic
chopped tomatoes
Parmesan cheese

Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Pour enough oil into pot to coat the bottom; add garlic. Cook over medium heat until garlic begins to turn golden. Add tomatoes and cook until tomatoes begin to soften. Remove from heat: add pasta and toss to coat. Add more oil, if you need to. Serve with cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment