Thursday, April 26, 2012

Happy Birthday, Israel!

I was 16 the first time I visited Israel, about to turn 17. It was a NFTY (North American Federation of Temple Youth) trip, and there were about 40 teenagers in our group. The first night there, in Jerusalem, was also the first time some of us tried hummus. "What is that stuff? I'm not eating that," I heard someone say, but I ripped off a piece of pita dived right in. Funny to think of how much hummus we've all eaten since then.

What's your favorite Israel memory?

2 comments:

  1. Well, there was the time we slept under the stars at a kibbutz in the desert and were awakened by the rain ... er, the sprinkler system near the pool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were supposed to be sleeping in a Bedouin tent on the sand, but they moved us to the lawn and forgot about the sprinkler system!

    ReplyDelete