Thursday, April 12, 2012

How to Make Matzo Taste Better

When I was growing up in Leawood, Kansas, Passover was pretty much the only time when I consistently brown-bagged it to school. Some of the kids would make fun of my crumbly sandwiches, but very often my friends would want to try the strange pocked crackers I ate.

"Mmm, yum," they'd say, washing down a crunchy mouthful with slurps from a juice box. It wasn't until I met my high school friend John that someone finally admitted the truth. "So," he said, "cardboard is kosher?"

Now, almost a week into eating said cardboard (or potatoes) at every meal, I'm pretty ready for a real  piece of pizza. But it isn't all bad. Several years ago, while reading The Gefilte Variations, I learned that wetting matzo with a spritz of water or a touch of olive oil and then re-baking it in the oven at least makes it taste fresh, which is a vast improvement. Below are a couple of my own "re-baked" matzo creations:

Cinnamon-Sugar Crisps

Spread matzo with softened butter or margarine; sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar. Bake on baking sheet at 350 degrees F until crisp, about 8 minutes. Serve warm.

Matzo Garlic Toasts

Brush extra-virgin olive oil over matzo. Cut a piece of garlic in half and rub the cut side all over the matzo. Sprinkle with sea salt or kosher salt. Bake on baking sheet at 350 degrees F until crisp, about 8 minutes. Serve warm.

1 comment: