Friday, October 21, 2011

4 Ways to Use Your Etrog

One result of sending your kid to a Jewish preschool is that you become much more aware of Jewish holidays that most Reform Jews tend to ignore. In other words, Noah has the day off for Simchat Torah. So I enlisted his help for today’s blog.

Here are four ways to use your etrog once Sukkot is over.*

 I was going to have Noah make this while I wrote ,
but it turns out that etrog skins are really tough.
Instead, he handed me cloves and I shoved them in.
My hands smell really nice now. 
1. Shove cloves into it to preserve it and create a wonderfully scented spice box for Havdalah.

2. Make marmalade with this recipe from Food.com.**

3. Or you can soak it in vodka for a special liquer.**

4. Get pregnant. According my friend Rabbi Leah Doberne-Schor, etrogs are supposed to have spiritual properties that help with fertility when eaten. So, ladies, squeeze a little of the juice over your salad or into your water glass and see what happens!**

*Back when I was an associate food editor for Woman’s World magazine, I used to write a weekly column like this where I would tell readers the gazillions of ways they could use ordinary household items.  I now know countless ways to use vinegar, Cool Whip, dryer lint—you name it. If you’ve got extra of something hanging around, just ask me and I’ll tell you how to turn it into fabric softener or shaving cream or stuffing for your kid’s Halloween costume.


**So now I've been informed that you can only eat it if it's organic. See Leslie's comment. Well, that stinks.

3 comments:

  1. Do not use it for food or drink! They use a huge amount of pesticides to make them blemish-free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We use our old lulavim and etrogim as part of the decorations for each new sukka.

    ReplyDelete