Tuesday, October 4, 2011

We Got S'chach!

No, it’s not a 90s music genre. It’s the roofing material for a sukkah, and it’s arguably the most important part. A sukkah can have as few as 2 ½ walls and anything can cover those walls—sometimes they aren’t even covered at all. The whole point of the sukkah is to hold up the s’chach, which must be made of organic material, provide more shade than sun, yet still let the people inside see the sky.

So I was just a tiny bit freaked out today when Barbara e-mailed me to say that the town of Fanwood didn’t drop off as many pine branches at the temple as they usually do and there wasn’t enough to fully cover my sukkah as well as the temple’s. Fortunately, about half an hour later I heard saws outside my window. A crew was at my neighbor’s house doing some major tree trimming. Score! With a few funny looks but plenty of smiles, the helpful guys doing the yard work passed several large leafy branches over the fence. All set! That couldn’t have been any easier.

When I finished piling these up, I realized I’d better call the lawn guys before they come over to mow and wonder what strange things we’re doing out here.

1 comment:

  1. It's like God was looking out for you. You know... if you think that's how the world works. :)

    ReplyDelete